FIRD Quick Links
In the eye of the stormClick here to download the PDF document.
Profile – Toaha Qureshi MBE, Founder Chairman
Toaha B.Z. Qureshi, MBE
Toaha Qureshi is a Member of the Order of The British Empire after being conferred an MBE by Her Majesty the Queen, Elizabeth II for his services rendered to the community. He is a British national and is CEO of School of Economics and Law (SOEL, formerly known as LCBMIT), and Chairman of the Forum for International Relations Development (FIRD)-a UK based conflict resolution think tank. He is also Chairman of a leading social housing association in London with 250 properties under management. He is a philanthropist and has supported numerous humanitarian and charitable organisations to help displaced persons, orphans, prisoners, ex-offenders, and marginalised members of the community (e.g. Pakistan Flood Victims, Philippines Typhoon).
He is headhunted for positions in other organisations many of which are voluntary (and at one point was board member for 25 local, regional and national organisations) in order to provide them expert advice and raise their profile, particularly in fields of education, interfaith harmony, housing, poverty, counter radicalisation, employment, counter extremism, counter terrorism and quality management. He has provided training and capacity building programmes for numerous institutions including public and private sector organisations such as Metropolitan Police, National Offender Management Services. He authored many papers for international conferences (e.g. National Legal Education Conference), magazines and journals (e.g. The Bow Group, International Centre for Counter Terrorism Hague, SAFMA, SZABUL, etc).
He specialises in community relations, conflict management, and counter radicalisation/extremism. He has designed and delivered numerous capacity building, preventative and diversionary programmes to address the trend of extremism and its root causes before 9/11 and 7/7 with partners such as the Home Office (Office for Security & Counter Terrorism), Metropolitan Police, London Probation, European Union (EU), local authorities, multi-faith organisations, parliamentarians and universities in the UK and abroad. He successfully designed and implemented two unique models in 1999 which formed the fundamental basis of counter radicalisation and deradicalisation work carried out. His project to tackle extremism has had a 100% success rate saving the mainstream services and authorities thousands in taxpayer’s money.
In addition, Mr. Qureshi MBE has successful academic expertise, leading two private academic institutions, educating over 5,000 students since inception, where SOEL has a social welfare ethos and has granted scholarships worth well over £1.5m to support the brightest students from deprived backgrounds, particularly from Pakistan. SOEL achieved the highest rating from the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA), attaining the commendable status. He has successfully linked British universities with several universities in Pakistan for quality enhancement, twinning and exchange programmes. He has pioneered a unique master of law programme in International Commercial Law, the first of its kind in the UK, in partnership with Buckinghamshire New University, being rolled out across the UK and overseas.
Mr. Qureshi MBE is regularly invited to deliver lectures at British and Pakistani institutions alongside world leaders, celebrities and academicians, on a range of topical issues including at the International Centre for Counter Terrorism in the Hague, University of Oxford, London School of Economics, Buckinghamshire New University, University of the Punjab, SZAB University of Law, FC College, University of Peshawar and others.
- Proven experience in a senior management role, incorporating strategic and operational management skills
- Experience of managing large, complex budgets combined with a proven track record of maintaining robust financial management systems in a large organisation
- Experience of working within the Higher Education sector
- Track record of developing and maintaining effective relationships with private and government sector
- Proven experience of working collaboratively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at national and international level
- Proven successful management experience of achieving targets within time and resource constraints for private and government programmes
- Proven successful experience of leading the formulation, development and implementation of strategic planning
- Ability to provide the vision and leadership to enable the institution to achieve ‘outstanding status’
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Problem solving approach and an ability to thrive on change
- Able to interpret complex information accurately and quickly
- Entrepreneurial qualities with the judgement and ability to seize appropriate opportunities for the institution and its stakeholders
- Knowledge and understanding of new Government legislation and requirements in respect of, the new commissioning framework, curriculum development and the challenges facing colleges
- Awareness of regulatory and inspection frameworks, accreditation and validation processes, and successful direct experience of quality improvement, as recognised by external inspection
- Good knowledge of funding mechanisms for academic institutions
- A comprehensive understanding of the statutory and compliance framework, including safeguarding and its importance within the higher education environment
- A sound understanding and commitment to, equality and diversity
- Passionate about teaching and learning with a commitment to excellence for learners at all levels and a passion for enabling them to achieve their full potential
- Sufficiently flexible to undertake the duties of the post, and other duties as reasonably correspond to the general character of the post and are commensurate with its level of responsibility
Corporate Strategy and Policy
- Advised the Organisation in relation to the educational character, activities, and mission of the many academic institutions and to implement its policies and decisions.
- As a Chairman and/or Chief Executive of the intitutions, developed a strong and effective working relationship with the Board of Dirctors, Advisory Board and Academic Standards Board.
- Maintained an awareness and understanding of relevant legislation and changes in the education sector and the potential implications and opportunities for the institution.
- Promoted and implement the Organisation’s policies, procedures, and practices, including those relating safeguarding and equality and diversity.
Leadership and Management
- Provided effective and inspiring leadership for the institution, ensuring that all staff was working in collaboration to achieve the highest results for learners.
- Ensured that the overall management, internal organisation, and discipline of staff and learners were consistent with the Instrument and Articles of Government and policies approved by the Organisation, and that they are applied fairly and effectively.
- Ensured that appropriate targets were set and agreed throughout the College in order to achieve the agreed strategic aims and objectives, that performance against these targets were monitored, and that the institution meets the targets.
- Fostered positive internal and external communication, ensuring staff and learners were made aware of key developments and decisions of the Organisation and Senior Management Team, relevant national and local policy developments, and best practice in the sector.
- Demonstrated commitment to the personal growth and development of staff and students at all levels, enabling them to develop the skills necessary to achieve outstanding outcomes.
- Represented College as an outstanding ambassador, promoted it at local, regional, national, and international level.
Teaching and Learning
- Promoted and facilitated the innovation and development of the curriculum to ensure the institution continued to deliver an outstanding range of education and training opportunities, and to develop the quality of provision to outstanding.
- Ensured that high quality standards are set and achieved for all programmes and promoted practices that supported learners.
- Promoted the evaluation of the quality of education, training and services, responded to learner views and other feedback, and ensured that action was taken in response to that feedback to enhance and enrich the learner experience.
- Ensured that there were mechanisms in place for effective dialogue with learners and consulted actively and engaged with learners in a positive way.
Corporate Resource Management
- Acted as Chief Executive Officer for the institution, oversaw the preparation of annual estimates of income and expenditure and the efficient and effective management of resources in line with approved budgets.
- Ensured that the institution worked with its statutory and regulatory framework and those policies and procedures were compatible with the Articles of Association, the College’s financial regulations.
- Assumed responsibility for Health, Safety and Wellbeing, ensuring a safe and healthy environment for learners, staff and visitors to the institution.
- Developed and improved the institution’s assets, kept the resources up-to-date, and promoted the further development of systems and processes to support the institution in achieving ‘outstanding’ status.
- Ensured proper and effective operation of financial, planning and management controls.
- Ensured that information systems were in place to provide timely robust data to support the management of the institution, and to ensure accurate and timely reporting to the Organisation and external agencies.
- Ensured that the institution maintained and further developed the outstanding partnerships and relationships with local authorities, diplomatic bodies awarding bodies, universities, schools and colleges, charities etc. These have included SZAB University of Law (Karachi, Pakistan), Anglia Ruskin University, Buckinghamshire University, Staffordshire University, Baha-ud-Din Zakariya University (Multan, Pakistan), Quaid-e-Azam University (Islamabad, Pakistan), Prince of Wales Charity Mosaic, Harris Academy, British/Pakistani High Commissions ABE, ACCA, ABP, City & Guilds, and community organisations.
The Founder/Chairman of:
- Clapham and Stockwell Faith Forum
- Stockwell Green Youth Project
- Forum for International Relations Development (FIRD)
- Better World Foundation
- Black Roof Housing Association
- Ash Shahada Housing Association
- A. Conferences/Seminars on dialogue, community cohesion, deradicalisation & extremism:
Organised and/or spoke at international conferences with British/EU/International partners where speakers of international standing also attended:
1. International Conference on Legal Education 2015 (SZAB University of Law, Karachi, 2015)
2. Pakistan: Opportunity in Crisis (in partnership with St Antony’s College, University of Oxford, London/Oxford, 2014)
3. International Conference on Legal Education 2013 (SZAB University of Law, Karachi, 2014)
4. State, Religion and Democracy (tri-city conference – Forman Christian College, Lahore, 2013; Centre for Research and Security Studies, Islamabad, 2013; and Peshawar University, Peshawar, 2013)
5. Leaders First Finale, Entrepreneurs 2012 Conference (London, 2012)
6. Future of Pakistan Conference: Revolving Paradigms (London, 2012)
7. EU Projects – Transnational Partnership Meeting/Seminar; Towards Preventing Violent Radicalisation (TPVR) (Madrid, 2010)
8. EU Project – Transnational Conference; Towards Preventing Violent Radicalisation (TPVR) (Berlin, 2010)
9. Reducing Influences that Radicalise Prisoners; Conference on “Radicalisation in Prison and Probation” Three day conference (Segovia, January 2010)
10. Engaging with Violent Extremist Offenders in Prison and on Probation; Three day conference (London, 2010)
11. Education, Extremism & Rehabilitation (in partnership with Baha-ud-Din Zakariya University, Multan, 2010)
12. Education & Rehabilitation (Islamabad, 2010)
13. The Role of Education in Addressing Extremism (in partnership with Baha-ud-Din Zakariya University, Metropolitan Police and London Probation Trust London, Multan, 2009)
14. The Role of Communities in Addressing Extremism (in partnership with Metropolitan Police, London, 2007)
15. Dialogue Among Civilisations (in partnership with Baha-ud-Din Zakariya University and Metropolitan Police, Multan, 2006)
16. Solidarity Conference (in partnership with Metropolitan Police, London, 2005)
17. The Self-Aware Youth (in partnership with Metropolitan Police, London, 2004)
18. Educating Youth (in partnership with Metropolitan Police, London, 2003)
19. The Role of Religion in Diminishing Terrorism (in partnership with Metropolitan Police, London, 2002)
20. The Role of Mosques in the Development of Local Communities (in partnership with Metropolitan Police, London, 2000)
- B. Research & Publications
Authored a book in Urdu “Mera Jihad” in 2014. Its English version “My Jihad” is ready for publishing. The following articles in international press have been published:
1) ‘The Wailing Wall’ – The News International/Express Tribune, May 2012.
2) ‘In Search of Rehabilitation Paradigm’ – South Asian Journal – South Asian Free Media Association, July 2011.
3) ‘Midwifing the Crises; American and Western intrusion in Afghanistan’ – Cross Bow – Bow Group (A Journal of Conservative Party’s Think-Tank), September 2010
4) ‘Countering Violent Extremist Narratives’ – International Centre for Counter Terrorism, Hague’s Publication, 2010.
- C. Awards & Honours
Mr. Toaha Qureshi, MBE has been honoured with many awards including the
1) British Community Honours Awards presented by Dominic Grieve QC MP (House of Lords, 2010)
2) Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) presented by Her Majesty the Queen, Elizabeth II (Buckingham Palace, 2009)
3) Star of Pakistan Award presented by HE High Commissioner of Pakistan to the UK, Wajid Shams ul Hasan (London, 2009)
4) Lambeth Civic Award presented by the Mayor of Lambeth (London, 2008)
5) Metropolitan Police Commendation Award presented by Borough Commander (London, 2005)